Madonna de La Salette: the sanctuary of Fumane’s Valley winemakers
Fumane’s Valley is a large chalice of vineyards that gradually narrows down in the proximities of the town center. It is surmounted by the sweet surroundings of the Madonna de La Salette sanctuary, a worship architectonic element very important for Valpolicell’s winemakers, built in 1860 on a rock cliff called Colle Incisa.
The arrival of the phylloxera in Valpolicella
The second half of the 1800s represents a dramatic period for the cultivation of vines with the consolidation of the so-called powdery mildew, the Oldio. In order to avoid it, winemakers started importing the American vineyard that is immune. However, with the American vineyard, another plague arrived: a small insect called Phylloxera.
Fighting the French Peronospora and a rating of Madonna de La Salette
Winemakers from the Valley of Fumane, alarmed by the news about the new disease coming from France, decided to dedicate a dominant worship place to the Virgin Mary, looking over the valley and its vineyards. The Incisa rock cliff would have been ideal.
On September 9th, 1846, in La Salette – Fallavaux’s town hall, close to Grenoble, two young men, Maxim Giraud e Mélanie Calvat, witnessed the apparition of the Virgin Mary. The event caused great interest throughout Europe.
In 1859, friar Angelo d’Alessandria was in Fumane when, coming back from the apparition site, proposed the construction of a sanctuary dedicated to Madonna de la Salette. The proposal was received very positively and, in less than one year, it was built and finally consecrated in 1860.
An ideal place to admire Fumane’s Valley
The sanctuary of Madonna de La Salette became a pilgrimage destination and it is still available for visits today. From the cliff of the Incisa one can admire one of the most beautiful panoramas of the entire vineyard of Fumane’s valley. We strongly advise you to take a walk along the wonderful path to the town center.